YouTube is an amazing platform, and the result of untold man-years of effort. The voice recognition involved in the automatic closed captioning is impressive.
But as any graybeard GNU-ster will attest, placing you content solely in the hands of a faceless evil corporation like Google is unwise, since I am not their customer. Their advertisers are their customers, and their users are just free content creators and a source of training data for their AI. So, in parallel, I've been revisiting the idea of resurrecting my website.
It is a somewhat overwhelming idea for me because there are infinite possibilities. I could (and should) just do a WordPress instance and call it a day, for that would be efficient, but, I would love to take the opportunity to learn something new.
Over the weekend, I enumerated my many sources of internet content. So far, I've discovered
- YouTube
- A code blog on Blogger
- A personal website, hosted by a hosting provided, that is never updated
- Another personal website that is just a parked domain right now
- Yet another personal website, on my home PC, that is rarely updated
- A security camera
- The true content backend -- not publicly visible -- which will be the source. Video, images, audio will be stored in their native resolution and formats
- A website. It will be GNU-friendly. No weird javascript. Video will be medium resolution to split the difference quality and download time. Probably 720p Ogg+Theora+Vorbis. Audio will be Ogg+Vorbis or MP3. Images will be JPEG.
- YouTube.
- A gopher server where the 1990s will live on forever. Video will be shrunk to 352x288 pixel MP4 or CIF-sized 3gp+h.263+AMR_NB. Audio will be MP3. Images will be 640x480 GIF.
---
In my personal archaeology, I also found these projects that are not externally visible or not working
- An instance of the never-completed telnet PupperBBS, which has no content
- A real-time chat service called Jozabad
- A shoutcast/icecast server that has been serving up the same song for who knows how long
No comments:
Post a Comment